Friday, March 27, 2020
Saturday, February 01, 2020
Going up a hilly mountain terrain and coming downhill demand skill from a motorcycle rider. You need to keep your balance, control speed, stay in the right lane, judge well and ride safe. Please note, this is only a refresher for experienced riders.
Some key points include
Always be in control. The gear you use to go uphill should be used downhill or an even lower gear if possible to get more control.
Keep close to the outer boundary of the roads, careful that it’s not having skid gravel though which is common in the mountains.
Don’t speed up if you got a curved road or hairpin bend coming ahead as you may not get time to slow down or control your bike according to oncoming vehicle.
Watch out for blind turns, most of the time the other the oncoming vehicle does not honk, better you honk on each blind turn.
Roads can be bumpy and controlling a bike can be difficult, so lower gears and slow speed to maintain control and balance.
Local drivers or riders tend to be rash, probably having a mindset that they own the place.
Riding uphill and having to stop? Check if the rear brake is better to use or front brake for the terrain. If you want to keep both feet on the ground while stopping, then the front brake is the option. If you can use the right foot for the rear brake, then you can lean left to stop. Take care that bike does not roll backward in the process.
It also depends on which one is easier to disengage while starting and moving ahead again. Can you start the bike on a climb holding the front brake? Preferably avoid stopping on too steep climbs..find a little less steep road and park on the side.
Heavy bikes have a lower turning radius and rider tends to lose balance on a hilly climb at a standstill position. If you wish to turn, take a larger radius turn instead of a shorter one. Lean appropriately to the left or right to maintain balance while turning. This is essential especially when one turns or when one disengages the brake and gives acceleration to move forward relying on the clutch.
And you thought motorbike riding was easy….
Thanks to Zubin for the video
Ghat image: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Valparai_GhatRoad.JPG
Sunday, January 05, 2020
Motorbike riders or bikers are of all crazy types - probably you may identify the type of biker you are or came close to here –
- Snobby Bob: They are territorial pissy, snobby folks and
ride with other snobs, do mini mini rides… to the panwadi shop or nearest
coffee shop so they can rest their butt at the earliest. They are more into all
show and no gas ).
Living to post and boast on Facebook and instagram.. and you can add Tok Tok or any new apps. Either they are too boastful – will not let you speak or are a bag of question marks. If they don’t get attention, they will ask “Mate, the bike screw has lost its shine.. Do you think so … or some other stupid question? You can find them on more expensive bikes.. Harleys are usually preferred by this lot so its easily identified and is well known by all rich or poor.
- Stunt master: Enthusiastic and loves trying all sorts of stunts on the bike.. simple wheelies to weird acts that could win them a direct entry into a circus. You may find them on lighter bikes .. 200cc or light ones like KTM’s.
- Oily moo: This hardcore mechanic type who loves getting his hands dirty and is crazy about solving bike problems and finds the soul fully satisfying hearing the engine sound. Reminds me of a Shot gun Murugan down south in India who could tune bikes awesome but he did not know to ride one.. Crazy world !
- Daily commuter: No comments here… its about a rider just commuting to his workplace..not much leisure in city bike riding..but yeah it beats traffic jams and is economical. Some of them are really cheerful and enjoy riding – Salute to them! Any bike ..No cry .. Joy everytime J
- Macho man ... no rides, flexing his muscle and thinks owning a bike is macho to go with his image. He must be wishing the motorbike was a gym
- True biker.. care 2 hoots to the wind and raring to go on long rides - Bike companies worship these guys and they are much sought after for all opinions on bikes and accessories - eat breathe drink motorbikes.
- MOD- mad rider ... more than riding this guy spends 90% of the time trying out modifications or his bike that’s launched in the market. His enthu knows no bounds mix and match is the name of the game. Any bike … hmm..how will the Harley body fit on a KTM 200cc engine…ok, lets swap the mirrors and on and on..
And ladies and gentlemen… The award goes to this one –
- The Online (whatsapp) biker .. No rides.. but all advice and questions for everyone. The confused soul thinks he is on on Kaun Banega Crore fati ( Who wants to be a Millionaire )? Amazing is how they are blessed with time my friends …
So… get on the motorbike and move bro. Action is on the move....
As Hellen Keller said - “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.”
Despite the entry of all international super bikes in India, the Enfield Bullet rules over others as the symbol of power ~ Romancing th...
The stock handlebar position with the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 may not be optimal for many folks. If you turn it towards the ride a bi...
GREAT MOTORCYCLE QUOTES AND WISDOM Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut tha...
Motorbike riders or bikers are of all crazy types - probably you may identify the type of biker you are or came close to here – ...